‘The Transatlantic Communications and Light Gathering’
‘Valentia Island Welcomes the World once more’
May 31/June3, 2013 – Valentia Island, Co. Kerry, Ireland
We invite you to the Transatlantic Communications and Light Gathering here on Valentia Island, Co. Kerry, Ireland. Join us for the launch of an International Heritage project, celebrating the historic contribution that Valentia served as the foundation of the information technology.
The success of linking Europe to the United States with instantaneous communication in the 19th century, shall now be taken further, in recognising one of the premier wonders of the industrial world in the 21st century. Learn about the Cable, the opportunity to designate it as an International Heritage Site, and the significance of this to Ireland, North America and Europe. Witness also the opening of Cromwell Point Lighthouse, Valentia which will be opening to the public for the very first time. We invite all those with a connection to the Island back for this weekend of celebration.
This is an event that will celebrate the island’s rich heritage with the Transatlantic Cable and communications is a major theme of this event. All three communications elements on the Island; the cable, the radio station, and the lighthouse will be explored through a series of insightful and interesting lectures.
There will also be the opportunity to take various tours of these significant sites. As well as soaking up the traditional island welcome and some great live music this weekend will afford you the opportunity to mingle in the company of friends old and new. We aim to celebrate with the wider community, to reunite the family descendants’ who were part of that glorious age, and also tell the world that Valentia is ready to once again take its rightful place as a centre for heritage preservation and communications innovation.
Highlights of the Event to include
- Our lectures will give you a real insight to history of the Transatlantic Cable among other areas of interest on the Island including lectures on; RNLI Lifeboat History, Valentia Radio Station, Lighthouses & Light Keepers, The influence of the Knights of Kerry on the island; Lecture by Adrian Fitzgerald, 24th Knight of Kerry. St. John the Baptist Church, Knightstown, and Dark Nights – navigation by the stars.
Our lectures will give you a real insight to history of the Transatlantic Cable among other areas of interest on the Island including lectures on; RNLI Lifeboat History, Valentia Radio Station, Lighthouses & Light Keepers, The influence of the Knights of Kerry on the island; Lecture by Adrian Fitzgerald, 24th Knight of Kerry. St. John the Baptist Church, Knightstown, and Dark Nights – navigation by the stars.
We have some of the most interesting tours you will ever take part in; including Tour of the Cable Station, Valentia Lighthouse, Tour the Island RNLI Station and Lifeboat, Radio Station, The Valentia Island Heritage Centre and the Skellig Experience.
- A night of music and celebration with Keynote Speaker Dr. Alexander Gillespie on how the Valentia Cable Station site could gain recognition as an International Heritage site.
- Minister Jimmy Deenihan – Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.
- Cyrus Field IV – Great, great grandson of the Inspirational leader of the first Atlantic Cable.
Hikes and Walks:
- Island Hike from Head to Toe, taking in such wonders as Bray Head Tower , Fogher Cliffs and Geokaun Mountain, and the world famous Valentia Slate Quarry.
- There will be lots to do for all the family including Maritime Themed Treasure Hunt for under 12’s around Knightstown.
And lots more…